- RSS Channel Showcase 6107650
- RSS Channel Showcase 8694998
- RSS Channel Showcase 5198617
- RSS Channel Showcase 8384430
Articles on this Page
- 07/11/17--10:00: _Review: GUMBY #1 Fi...
- 07/18/17--12:15: _SDCC ’17: President...
- 07/20/17--13:40: _SDCC ’17: The Retur...
- 07/21/17--12:33: _SDCC ’17: Old Schoo...
- 07/22/17--15:38: _SDCC ’17 – DISNEY &...
- 07/23/17--10:30: _SDCC ’17 – CARDS AG...
- 07/23/17--16:00: _SDCC ’17 – Talking ...
- 07/26/17--10:15: _SDCC ’17 – The Quie...
- 08/09/17--13:35: _Reflections on Rob ...
- 08/16/17--13:45: _Animation Roundup: ...
- 11/06/17--08:30: _REVIEW: An Artist I...
- 11/09/17--15:45: _I Guess He Passed t...
- 11/16/17--10:30: _Interview: The Once...
- 12/06/17--06:30: _INTERVIEW: Dean Has...
- 12/18/17--06:30: _INTERVIEW: The Past...
- 01/04/18--15:30: _Zany to the Max! Th...
- 01/15/18--13:00: _ACE Comic Con: When...
- 01/22/18--12:30: _INTERVIEW: Explorin...
- 07/11/17--10:00: Review: GUMBY #1 Fits the Mold for All-Ages Comics Adventures!
- 07/20/17--13:40: SDCC ’17: The Return of ROCKO (and his MODERN LIFE)
- 07/21/17--12:33: SDCC ’17: Old School meets New for “HEY ARNOLD!:THE JUNGLE MOVIE”
- 07/23/17--16:00: SDCC ’17 – Talking Cartoon Crossover Comic Magic with BUTCH HARTMAN
- 07/26/17--10:15: SDCC ’17 – The Quiet Introspection of THE LOUD HOUSE
- 12/06/17--06:30: INTERVIEW: Dean Haspiel’s New Brooklyn Prepares for WAR CRY
- 12/18/17--06:30: INTERVIEW: The Past is Present in Ed Piskor’s X-MEN: GRAND DESIGN
- 01/04/18--15:30: Zany to the Max! The ANIMANIACS are Coming to HULU in 2020!
- 01/15/18--13:00: ACE Comic Con: When Comics are an Afterthought
Writers: Kyle Baker (and art!), Jeff Whitman, Ray Fawkes Art: Jolyon Yates Colors: Laurie E. Smith, Matt Herms Lettering: Janice Chiang & Calvin Louie As a late twenty-something, my memories of watching Gumby on TV are sketchy at best. I definitely remember watching the adventures of Gumby and his pony pal Pokey on those super-early mornings getting […]
In 2015, veteran comedy writer Rob Kutner (The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Conan) launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund Shrinkage, a phantasmagorical burlesque about a group of nanobots that invade the President’s brain with the intent of launching, oh let’s say, nuclear war! From there, it’s a sci-fi action thriller and political comedy all […]
It’s a surreal feeling talking with voice actors and the people who’ve created your favorite animated shows. On one level, they are consummate professionals who dedicate their lives to the work and craft before them. So, when they do interviews, like the round table interviews at Comic Con, it’s merely a transactional experience: promoting a […]
Nick Nostalgia is in full swing at Comic Con this year. Everywhere you go you see reminders of Nickelodeon’s past. Besides yesterday’s Rocko’s Modern Life panel and reveal, nothing has been anticipated more than the return of Hey Arnold! The path towards this anticipation has been one of frustration and hope for countless fans. Back […]
Flexing the intersection of their comics and television IPs, Disney previewed an ambitious upcoming slate of comics produced in partnership with IDW during the “From Screen to Panel: Disney Comics Come to Life with New Series” presentation at Comic Con. What was debuted for attendees was an eclectic mix of material dipping deep into Disney’s […]
Walking around aimlessly on any comic convention floor inevitably leads to many surprises. Booths are set up for maximum eye-catching—gimmickry abounds!—attempting to lure attendees and wanderers alike to partake the wares at hand. This method is not new by any means, but it is effective. I felt the pull when I randomly found the booth […]
Butch Hartman is a busy man. Even while show-running two animated television series on Nickelodeon right now (the fan favorite The Fairly OddParents and the recently debuted Bunsen is a Beast), co-creating the new 3 o’Clock Club comic for Lion Forge (along with Jordan B. Gorfinkel), and constantly developing new content for his Noog Network […]
As one of Nickelodeon’s most popular shows on air currently, The Loud House presents viewers with its dichotomous nature right off the bat. While borrowing the aesthetics of a classic fifties comic strip and the sensibilities of a sitcom from the same decade, the energetic family comedy about Lincoln Loud, the lone middle boy adrift […]
As I mentioned in my piece about the Cards Against Humanity exclusive San Diego Comic Con one-shot, one of the elements that was most exhilarating about my experience at SDCC this year was the productive, but haphazard, chaos of the whole affair. Within the crush of tens of thousands of people excitingly walking the convention […]
After thirty years, Disney has had the opportunity and good fortune to bring audiences of all ages back to Duckburg for a reboot of the richly beloved animated series Duck Tales. This worthy revival—airing on Disney XD—has been hotly anticipated since Disney first announced the reboot all the way back in 2015. Over the past […]
One of the most perplexing epistemological questions that enters the human mind is: “What’s next?” For those of us who try to derive some sort of meaning about our lives, thoughts about tomorrow (and the future, generally) are enough to elicit palpable feelings of anxiety and woe. When we think about the stages of our […]
With the latest Star Wars release only about a month away, the anticipation for Rian Johnson’s seemingly sole contribution to the space opera mega-franchise is beginning to peak. With media roll out slowly picking up steam (the second full trailer already hitting nearly 36 million views on YouTube), the world was ready to enjoy Star […]
Since 2004, fans of the beloved, classic Nickelodeon animated series Hey Arnold! have had to live with an incomplete show. The last episode, aired so many years ago, was a cliffhanger, and a proper resolution for the series seemed to be out of reach. For fans, the proposition that there was never going to be […]
I think it’s safe to say that if you follow the Beat, you are familiar with the artistic work of the indefatigable Dean Haspiel.This year has been particularly productive for Haspiel. His prolific work can be seen everywhere, including on television, on the stage (indeed, earlier this fall, his show Harakiri Kane debuted at the Brick Theater in […]
One of the challenges for any new reader of mainstream superhero comics is finding the right launching point to start one’s fandom. Sure, there are endless Recommend Reading Lists, Looper videos of the greatest storylines in human history, or the occasional in-person guidance from a knowledgeable sage, but there is never a certainty that the […]
UPDATE: When reached for comment, Rob Paulsen, voice of Yakko Warner, Pinky, and your entire childhood, says with regards to the rebooted Animaniacs: “Sounds like a blast and as a fan, I’m really looking forward to the show!” Well, it’s time to laugh ’til you collapse. In a surprise move, Hulu announced today that the […]
Let’s just set the scene. This weekend’s ACE Comic Con in Glendale, Arizona took place at the Gila River Arena (where the Arizona Coyotes hockey team plays). The arena is part of a greater entertainment complex, a triumphant piece of mix-use development where chain restaurants, bars, and other distractions to empty wallets commingle. Across the […]
During the time I spent walking around in circles at ACE Comic Con in Glendale, AZ, I also had the great opportunity to chat several of the creators and exhibitors who set up shop. One of the most interesting and impressive was Clinton F. Hobart, a painter and licensed Disney Fine Artist with an impeccable artistic […]